client resources

Change in Circumstances

If you receive any type of Income Support benefit you will need to complete a Change in Circumstance (CiC) form when you get a job, leave a job or change employment.  It is important that you complete your CiC within 14 days to make sure Customer and Local Services do not underpay or overpay your Income Support benefits.  

When do I need to complete this?

You need to complete a Change in Circumstance form if you, or a member of your household:

  • start working
  • stop working
  • have changes in your contract, including salary and hours worked
  • change employer
  • have regular changes in income
  • receive a bonus
  • have a loss of income due to temporary injury or illness
  • provide profit and loss accounts (for self employed)
  • cease trading as self-employed

You don’t need to tell Customer & Local Services about short term changes in your pay in place for 4 weeks or less. For example, sickness cover or one off overtime.

Starting a new job

If you are starting a new job, you will need the following information:

  • date you start
  • first pay date
  • hours per week and salary
  • period your first pay covers


Once you have provided your information, your Income Support Claim will be adjusted to take into account your earnings. 

Finishing a job

If you stop working without having a good reason, you won't receive the adult component of Income Support for 13 weeks.  

This does not apply if you:

  • are not expected to find work under Income Support rules. For example, if you’re a parent to a child under free nursery age or have a medical condition preventing you from working
  • have a good reason for leaving your job. For example, compulsory redundancy


We recommend that you contact Customer & Local Services before you leave your job.  They will be able to give you advice on how you can avoid your benefits being cut.   

When you finish a job, you will need to get a letter from your employer to explain the reason you left work.  This can be uploaded when you complete your Change in Circumstance form online.  

It is important that you provide this information as soon as you finish your job, otherwise your entitlement to any benefit may be affected. 

Changes in Personal Circumstances

There are other reasons you are required to complete a Change in Circumstance form to let Income Support know about changes in your personal situation.  This includes changes in childcare, address or if you are returning from university.  

For more information the different reasons for completing a Change in Circumstances and to find a link to the online form, please click on the link below:

Change in Circumstance Information & Form


For help with completing a Change in Circumstance form, please speak to your Employment Coordinator. 

Alternatively, you can book an appointment with a Customer & Local Services advisor who can help you with any information about your Income Support claim, health benefits and much more.  To book an appointment, click on the link below:

Book a meeting with Customer & Local Services

Previous: ITIS Next : DBS Checks
Share this page